Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Web Wednesdays | Instavideo or Vine?

 I was one of those people who thought Vine would completely fail when Instagram Video started. But then someone reminded me, it’s not like Facebook failed when MySpace started to get similar features. It seems like, without knowing it, many outlets and mediums of social media are fulfilling certain purposes in their own unique ways.

I’m a huge social media nerd, and I tend to compartmentalize my life. Naturally, when Instagram Video came about I thought, “Oh crap! But I always keep images and video separate…what do I do now?”  I had tried other “video” type mediums before such as Keek, but they just didn’t suit me. I thought I would immediately fall in love with InstaVideo and fall off of Vine – but it didn’t work that way.




Like most people, I found that the Instagram feed was so much slower with the addition of the videos. As well, I found that 15 seconds was way too long, I lost interest with people’s videos after 10 seconds. Vine only having 6 seconds was perfect, it was just the right amount of time to get a funny message or moment across – kind of like how 140 characters is perfect for Twitter (in my opinion). And let’s not forget the famous LOOP. What really makes Vine “VINE” is the hilarity of each video looping. It instantly makes everything funnier.

As I was thinking that it dawned on me, maybe those at the Instagram office didn’t make the “loop” a feature of Instavideos for a reason. Maybe they’re meant to fulfill two different types of social media expression. Maybe Vine is in a way, meant to be funny, whereas InstaVideo is moreso meant to share moments, or even funny moments in the same way that a picture does. But, because of the length of the videos it’s pretty clear that Vine isn’t really made to showcase anything informative, or of substance, it’s just for fun in other words.

On the other hand, Instagram has allowed for some more flexibility with the length of their videos. So many Instagram accounts are already so informative: whether it’s about health, nutrition, fashion, etc. Having this video option now simply allows people to put their pictures in motion or give a short tutorial. It’s pretty clear that Vine wasn’t meant to do that.



When I really think about it, there were times I would make a Vine and think: “Well that didn’t really need to be looped” or “shit..that isn’t really meant to be funny, and now it looks like I’m trying to be funny!” I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Vine, I just don’t think I have much to offer in the creativity department. People make some AWESOME vines using all sorts of timing and camera angles and such, I don’t really have that in me. But that doesn’t mean I’m gonna get rid of my Vine, I still think it’s hilarious – I just may not contribute to it as much.

I still haven’t made an InstaVideo because I’m so OCD about keeping my videos and my images separate (I’m a nerd I know). But I think I’ll be taking away my InstaVideo virginity soon, when there’s a moment special enough to share!

**DISCLAIMER: I do not own these images. 

Twitter: @liveshiv
Instagram: liveshiv
Vine: Shivani Persad

No comments:

Post a Comment