Monday, May 05, 2014

Makeup Monday | Mini Sephora Makeup Haul (and initial thoughts!)

Hey everyone! I made a little stop off at SEPHORA because I needed some new eye shadow. I was pretty much set on getting one of the Naked palettes by urban decay, but I couldn’t really decide which one. Every time a makeup artist has used them on me, they’re awesome. Also, whenever I use them myself, I find that the colours really work on my eyes, and they have a lot of options. But, standing there in the store, looking at all three palettes, I just thought, I don’t think I really need to spend that much on palettes that have so much variation of the same colours. I pretty much so the same makeup look almost every time I use eye shadow, so it just wouldn’t make sense for me.


Too Faced – Natural Eyes Palette
I was talking to the girl at Sephora and she suggested this palette instead. I was completely sold on it because it basically has colours from the Naked Basics palette (all matte), the taupe undertones of Naked 2 and the rose gold shades of Naked 3. It seemed like the best of all worlds, so I grabbed it!




The first colour “Day” is a little chalky, but other than that it seems like the perfect palette for me because I usually only use about three colours on my eyes. It was really important for me to have rich darker colours to use on my outer crease, as I find that’s what really makes eye shadow stand out! And that’s what I was struggling with in terms of the Naked palettes.



The Naked 1 had that navy blue that I just wouldn’t use, as well as the shimmery black, which I also wouldn’t use, so I didn’t want to buy the whole palette knowing I wouldn’t use those two colours. And the 2 and 3 just didn’t have a good variation of those darker colours I wanted to blend on my outer corner. But this palette by Too Faced has exactly what I needed.


It also comes with an instruction booklet on how to use all the different shades to create a natural eye. Which is pretty cool! So I am pretty happy about this palette, and maybe if I ever get bored and need more variation I’ll pick up one of the Naked ones…but for now this is perfect!



Benefit – They’re Real Mascara
I’m a total mascara junkie, and I’m not typically very picky with my mascara, because my lashes are pretty long, so I just pop on any mascara in a thick consistency and I’m good to go. So, I have lots of different types of mascara, and I don’t just stick to one.

I decided to try out “They’re Real” by benefit because everyone’s talking about it – but it’s a little more expensive than my usual drugstore mascaras. So I just got the sample size so I could try it out.

Now, sometimes I go a little crazy (when I realize I have lots of different types of mascaras) and I create a little routine. I start off with mascara with a regular formula (not too thick) that has a good brush for separating my lashes while coating them a bit, to make them more workable. Then I use mascara with a bit of a thicker brush, to really add volume to the lashes and shape them the way I like. (I also use this second mascara for my bottom lashes). Finally I use a wand with a massive brush and a REALLY thick formula, to ensure I’m adding a TON of volume, extending the ends of the lashes and elongating the lashes on the outer corners of my eyes. But I don’t do this every day, only when I find that I have all three types in my makeup collection.



ANYWAYS, I had to tell you that whole process because I was surprised when I opened up this tube. The brush reminded me of the first type of mascara I use; to simply coat and separate my lashes. So I was a little confused, considering it’s supposed to make your lashes look so awesome that people think they’re fake. The formula does look very thick and rich, so maybe it’ll replace my whole little process I do sometimes? I’m not sure, I’ll have to try it out and see!


Any new products you guys have tried? Let me know which ones in the comments below! J


Twitter: @liveshiv
Instagram: liveshiv

No comments:

Post a Comment