Monday, September 22, 2014

Packing for a short trip!

Hey guys! As you know, with my job I get to travel a lot! Sometimes it's for very short periods of time, so I've gotten into a routine of packing that's efficient, fast and easy - so I thought I'd share it with you all. along with some tips I've learned about packing! 


First things first (I'm the realest..JOKES I DESPISE THAT SONG!) haha, but seriously first things first this is my carry-on sized suitcase that I use for short trips. This particular trip I'm packing for is for a four day stay in Montreal. I've had this suitcase for YEARS. It's not necessarily the newest, but it's an awesome size and it does the job.



This is usually what my suitcase looks like when I open it. Everything is laid neatly and in an organized fashion. I used to be a serious over packer, and it wasn't efficient at all so I've learned that comparmentalizing (is that even a word?) your suitcase really helps and forces you to be strict with what you pack.

TIP # 1: Use shower caps to pack your shoes. I got these from the dollar store, 15 for $1. I like using these because they cover your whole shoe, they're cheap and take up way less space than plastic or dust bags. 


To help organize I've started using packing cubes. These are my favourite ones from Eagle Creek. I bought them at the Jetsetter store in Montreal but you can also get them online everywhere - from their own website, amazon, ebay, etc. 

TIP # 2: Use packing cubes to pack your clothes. On a longer trip I would organize my clothes into different categories for different cubes, but on a short trip like this I put ALL of the clothes I need for the trip into one medium-sized cube. 


In this cube I've packed:
- underwear
- socks
- one bottom with two possible tops (incase I want to change it up)
- workout clothes
- pyjamas 

Normally I'd wear a very comfortable outfit for the first travel day, and then wear that again when travelling on the last day. So for a four day trip that means I only have 2 days in between, so I've packed one pair of jeans with two possible tops to wear on the second and third days of the trip. 

TIP # 3: Roll your clothes instead of folding them. This way, especially if you use packing cubes, you can fit WAY more clothes into smaller space. Plus they're like likely to get creases from folding. 


Next I have my toiletries, chargers/wires and makeup. I don't normally bring makeup for a work trip, because I dont' wear makeup on a regular basis and I like to let my skin breathe when I'm not shooting. But, since this is a four day trip, if I do decide to go for drinks or something, I decided to bring my makeup for a little touch up just incase. 

TIP # 3: Use a clear bag for your toiletries. It's much easier to see what you want. I got this bag from the dollar store! 

This may seem like a large bag of toiletries for a short trip, but I basically use this bag for every trip, and just switch it between suitcases, that way I know I have everything I need all the time! And I store anything that's hair, skincare, bath related etc, in one bag. This way, you can just take this one bag to the washroom instead of 3 little bags with all of those items separated.

I also like to bring with me any samples I have lying around. This is great because they're small so they don't take up a lot of space and they're usually just the right amount for a small trip's usage. 

TIP # 4: Store your chargers in a small makeup bag. I've found that this way cords are much less likely to get tangled and lost all over your bag. It's much easier to wrap them up and have them in one place.


Last but not least, I'm always cold, so I usually wear a jacket that's slightly warmer than needed. But, just incase I overestimate (as I usually do..) and it's not as cold as I think, I bring a lighter jacket. This packing envelop from Eagle Creek is great for packing stiffer items as it's great for compressing - and that's usually what I use it for. (Although it's really meant for nicer shirts and dresses that you wouldn't want getting wrinkled). 


The great thing about this packing envelope as well is that it comes with a folding board. If you've ever worked retail, you know what I'm talking about! This is super helpful because it makes these items much easier to pack (since they're too thick to be rolled), and if you alternate collars when packing more than one item, you can fit lots in here! 

At first I thought this envelope was a bit gimmicky. But once I actually started using it, I realized how much it actually does help keep wrinkles out, but more importantly, how much it compresses those thicker items to give you more space in your suitcase and keep everything neat! 


And this is how I pack it all in! I lay the biggest thing down first, the packing envelope. On top of it I lay the zip-up pouches side by side to maximize space. Finally I put in my packing cube, sneakers (or whatever your alternate shoe choice) and my glasses case. I put my glasses case on top because it's usually the first thing I want to grab.

Oh! Before I forget, sometimes I lay my laptop on top (although it's usually in my large handbag). I try to wrap it in a sweater or put it in a sleeve to make sure it's protected incase your suitcase gets bumped!

And there you have it! I put a couple extra tips in there, but they're not as important as the ones I've outlined! I hope you enjoyed this and it helps you pack for a short trip one day soon!

How do you stay organized when packing? If you have any tips I didn't mention, be sure to leave a comment below! Take care :)

Twitter: @liveshiv
Instagram: liveshiv

No comments:

Post a Comment