Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Workout Wednesday | Workout tips for beginners!

Hi guys! I'd like to start off this post by saying I am NOT AT ALL an expert on working out, but I've learned some tips over the last 2 years that helped me A LOT in the gym. Because of my career, I've been trying to become someone who lives a much healthier lifestyle, and that includes trying to become someone who works out very frequently. I'm not exactly there yet, but I'm slowly getting there - and I've learned some really valuable tips along the way that I thought I would share. Maybe it'll help anyone else out there trying to become more serious with their fitness!

After getting a trainer, I really began to "get it", if you will. So the majority of my tips are from my time working out with her, but also what I learned from my friends who work out DAILY and from numerous fitness blogs and such. These tips are probably going to sound super simple and not at all specific, but that's because they're for people like me; beginners who need that push to help get them in the right direction and make their transition into serious fitness that much easier! Here goes...

1. BE CONSISTENT
This is the tip I'm still struggling with, I'm not consistent at all. But truly it's the most important. I know for my body, if I haven't worked out for even 2 days, I start to see it regress backwards. Your muscles need consistency to see continuous change and progress! In other words, you can't half-ass it. You can't workout once a week and expect to see massive differences, it's a lifestyle. That being said though, everyone works at their own pace, so maybe one workout a week is where you start. But just remember it's about making it a lifestyle and making your health a priority. If you want to see progress, most people incorporate AT THE LEAST 2-3 workouts a week!




2. IT'S 70% WHAT YOU EAT
I never really took this in, or took it seriously until I got a trainer. Now again, everyone's body is different, but in my experience you're literally not making a difference at all if you workout and still eat like crap. Granted, I know some people who eat WHATEVER they want and still have fit-looking bodies. They probably have crazy high metabolisms. But for those of us who need to work a little harder you really need to be conscious of what you're eating. My trainer helped me realize how easy it was to cut out refined sugars and simple carbs. Of course your body needs some sugars and carbs - but you should be getting good sugars from fruits for example. Also, stay away from starchy carbs! Stick with complex carbs like nuts, veggies and beans! Once I did this I saw a dramatic change in my weight. Some people see a massive change with JUST a diet change and no workout - that's how powerful it is.

3. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR BODY
Everyone's body is different! If something doesn't work for you, don't be discouraged! It may just be that your body responds differently than others to a certain type of exercise or workout. I have friends who do just cardio and lose so much weight! But that doesn't work for everyone. Also remember, it all depends on the type of results you want. If you want to tone and get lean, you can't expect to just do cardio and see your muscles change. Know what results you want, find the exercises/workouts that work for you and exercise your butt off! But no matter which workouts you do - don't forget to always warm up before hand and stretch after a workout! 

4. DON'T OVER DO IT
It's really important to give your body a break. Don't go hardcore and lift crazy weights everyday. Your muscles need time to replenish and relax. SO either take a day off, a cheat day or do some simple stretches/yoga/meditation in between your heavy workouts. You can seriously injure yourself if you don't allow your muscles the time to relax in between workouts. Also remember to drink lots of water on your off days because your muscles still need to be hydrated! Of course you need to by hydrated while working out so you don't get muscles cramps and such, but it's just as important on the days that you take it easy.

5. TRY DIFFERENT CLASSES
I've learned some of my best exercises by trying different classes. There are so many different types of workouts out there, and they all work your body in different ways. Recently I've been loving: hot yoga, barreworks and reformers pilates. Not only does this help my body strengthen in different ways, it also helps me learn exercises I can add to my weekly workouts to make them more dynamic. I also find that classes really motivate me, because I'm not alone at the gym, I have an instructor helping and encouraging me every step of the way.



6. WORKOUT WITH A BUDDY
Some people love to workout on their own because they find it helps them focus. Me? I suck at working out alone! I love to have a friend there to bounce ideas off of and have a partner for certain exercises. I feel much more motivated when I know I came with a friend and I can't slack! Even if we barely end up working out together, I still feel much more motivated to get things done when I know a friend is with me!



7. FIND INSPIRATION ONLINE
I've also found a lot of cool workouts online, especially on instagram. As a model it always inspires me to see other models and how hard they work to stay fit. I love to follow @iza_goulart because she's so dedicated to a healthy lifestyle and staying in shape. It motivates me so much to see the success of others and how their hard work has persevered. Try following some people that inspire you on social media and actually implement some of their techniques into your workouts, it works!

8. HAVE CARBS & PROTEIN WITHIN 30 MINS OF YOUR WORKOUT
Your muscles are still active for about 30 minutes after a workout! My trainer recommended eating protein within 30 minutes after a workout to help repair muscle damage. It also helps to build muscle if paired with carbohydrates. It's a myth that you need a lot of protein to build muscle and promote muscle recovery, so keep that in mind and keep your meals simple after a workout! Even just a smoothie with a protein powder and a banana will do the trick!

9. SWITCH IT UP
Make sure you're not doing the same exercises all the time, or if you are make sure you're changing up your weights or reps to make sure your muscles aren't staying stagnant. By changing up the way you work your muscles, you'll help them to develop all-round, in different ways and give them a good shock every once in a while, if you haven't been noticing any changes in your body. Different types of workouts (not just changing weights/reps) are also important, to work your muscles different ways. For example if you do a lot of heavy weights, consider working in some yoga to make sure your muscles are also getting the stretch they need.


10. SET GOALS & STAY ORGANIZED
Last but not least, it's so much easier to see results if you have an end goal in mind. I've found that using an app (if you don't have a trainer) is a really easy way to help you set goals. For example, I like to use the Nike Running app to help motivate me and track my progress to reach my goal of running 5K. You also don't need to think about when to schedule your workouts because the app tells you exactly which days you should! So whether you want to set a weight loss goal, a consistency goal or an overall health goal - just set one!! This way you know exactly what you're working towards!

Twitter: @liveshiv
Instagram: liveshiv

No comments:

Post a Comment